Monday, February 25, 2013

Paleo Pigs in a Blanket

In the past year we've gotten into having little parties for tv events. Most recently (last night) we had an Oscars watching party. Since I can't really eat many of the traditional tv watching foods like chips and dip, or fruit and cheese, I have had to be a little creative.

This recipe is super easy. It marries these amazing Almond meal biscuits and cocktail weenies into a delicious and healthier pigs in a blanket. I make only one modification to the biscuit recipe: I replace the Tbsp honey with 1 Tbsp xylitol so that I can eat more of them.
This is all that is left from last nights festivities.

Prep-time: 15 minutes
Cook-time: 15 minutes
Serves 5 if you share.

Ingredients:

Pigs and their blanket:
          Almond meal biscuit mix
          1 package of cocktail weenies (I used the Applegate ones)

Classy sauce:
          Unsweetened Ketchup

Classiest sauce:
          Unsweetened Ketchup
          Prepared horseradish

The making:

Make the almond meal biscuits. Open the weenies. Preheat the oven to the 350F. Put a piece of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Use your clean hands to press as much almond biscuit batter to each weenie as you can, until you run out of either batter or weenies. As you coat the weenies place them on the parchment paper. I don't give them much space, but I try not to have them all touching. Then place the cookie sheet into the oven.  Bake for 15 minutes or until they look done to you.

Take them out of the oven. Let them cool for 10 minutes and then eat them, eat them all.

For the classy sauce, put the ketchup in a bowl and serve. For the classiest sauce mix about the two ingredients together in a bowl until you get something that looks like cocktail sauce.

This food is delicious and doesn't impact my blood sugar levels too much. I ate WAY too much last night and my levels were still within the recommended range for people diabetes. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment